March 6, 2018
Shannon ‐ Communications Coordinator
There are several key roles that make a complete Worth digital development and delivery team: UX/UI Design, Frontend Development, Backend Development, Testing, DevOps, IT Support, and Scrum Master.
Every week, we’re introducing one of our key players for each of these roles to give you a bit of insight into the positions themselves, the people behind them, and our team dynamics. If you think you fit the profile, and you’d like apply to a job opening, check out our job postings page.
Today, we’re sharing an interview with Cristian, one of our DevOps Engineers based in The Hague, NL.
Name: Cristian Selaru
Job title: DevOps Engineer
Challenges of this role:
- Design and implementing our containerisation effort, using technologies like Docker and Kubernetes/Openshift.
- Delivering CI, CD and Testing services for the development teams.
- The operational management of our 100+ virtual Linux servers on a VMWare stack.
- Building and configuring new server platforms for projects and the automated tooling to do so.
- Utilising monitoring tools like Zabbix and New Relic, to pro-actively identify and resolve (potential) problems.
- Troubleshooting issues across the entire stack - hardware, software, application and network.
- Supporting our development teams.
- Ensuring confidentiality, integrity and availability of our infrastructure.
- Documenting current and future processes and policies and making them repeatable.
1. How would you describe what you do at Worth in one sentence?
What I do, is in fact creating the backbone for every project. I work on multiple projects, because every team needs a DevOps. There is only one of those here, and that’s me! Big smile
2. What did you study, and why?
I studied Software for Telecommunication Networks (in Romania). I chose this study, because I have always liked software and IT in general and wanted to continue learning more about it.
3. What three words would you use to describe Worth?
Creativity, friendship, and innovation.
4. What do you enjoy most about working at Worth - and which project in particular?
Everything. Starting from working with my colleagues and learning from them, to the technologies I am using and the things I am allowed to do. Also, I really like the fact that Worth has a flat organisation. This means that I am encouraged to come up with new stuff, ideas, and improvements.
One project in particular: I like all of them, but there is one project in particular that I worked more on than the others, and that’s Nomad. It doesn’t necessarily mean that I also like this one much more than the other projects, but I did enjoy it a lot.
5. What is your proudest moment at Worth?
I once managed to solve Wi-Fi networking issues for Worth. It was our internal network that went down one day because of the electrician, and I spent half of the day in the data center in the cold trying to fix it. In the end, I managed to solve the issues and everything was back up and running by the end of the day (even though I didn’t have the proper knowledge necessary to do so). Therefore, this is my proudest moment!
6. Bonus question, as one member of Worth's Digital Development Zoo: if you were an animal, what would you be?
I would be a crocodile, because they never die of old age. Crocodiles can only die because of getting killed, or because of starvation. They are the only animals who, instead of growing old, grow in dimension. Therefore, I would be a crocodile.
7. Fun fact about you: What is your favourite place in the world?
I don’t really have one place in particular, but a favorite place would for sure be an island. A tropical island with palm trees and eternal sunshine, to be concrete.
Get in touch
We'd love to hear
We will get back to you as soon as we can.