February 27, 2018
Shannon ‐ Communications Coordinator
There are several key roles that make a complete Worth digital development and delivery team: UX/UI Design, Frontend Development, Backend Development, Testing, DevOps, IT Support, and Scrum Master.
Every week, we’re introducing one of our key players for each of these roles to give you a bit of insight into the positions themselves, the people behind them, and our team dynamics. If you think you fit the profile, and you’d like apply to a job opening, check out our job postings page.
Today, we’re sharing an interview with Brent de Kok, one of our Front End Developers based in The Hague, NL.
Name: Brent de Kok
Job title: Front End Developer
Challenges of this role:
- Create the technical design of the front-end of our innovative web applications.
- Make the connection between the design and the software developed at the back end.
- Involve the customer during the entire development process.
- Keep a close eye on usability and accessibility.
1. How would you describe what you do at Worth in one sentence?
I am in fact the connecting piece of lego between very brilliant technical people and designers, delivering the visual part and making sure I add value to the end users.
2. What did you study, and why?
I studied Communication and MultiMedia Design at the Hague University of Applied Sciences. I initially applied for another study, that was Applied Physics. However, halfway through I realized I wanted to do something more creative. So, I decided to change my direction and chose Communication and MultiMedia Design.
I’m happy that I did, because I think that the web has something really magical, and is a unique medium to express yourself. I actually built my first website when I was 12, and called my aunt who lives in Australia to ask if she was able to see my site, at the other side of the world. I was amazed when she said she did.
3. What three words would you use to describe Worth?
Inclusive, nerdy, and brilliant.
4. What do you enjoy most about working at Worth - and which project in particular?
What I enjoy the most at Worth is having fun. There is a lot of fun at the workplace, and the people working here are of really high level, which I really enjoy. I also really like working according to our motto: “Explore more.” This is something that really applies to working at Worth.
The project I enjoyed the most working on was the Innovation Funding Service. It was quite incredible to start this project with just two colleagues, and seeing it grow into such a big successful project.
5. What is your proudest moment at Worth?
I think the moment that made me most proud was when I reached my fifth year of working at Worth. I was being thanked for everything I had done these past years, and for becoming a part of the company’s core. I have seen the company grow so much, so this moment in which I realized how much I have done, improved and achieved, was really special to me.
6. Bonus question, as one member of Worth's Digital Development Zoo: if you were an animal, what would you be?
Definitely a kangaroo. I love to jump around, and half of my family lives in Australia. Who doesn’t want to be a jumping dog?
7. Fun fact about you: What's your secret talent no one knows about?
I am actually really good at juggling and sleeping in. I also know an awful lot about theme parks, rollercoasters in particular. Don’t ask me why.
Get in touch
We'd love to
hear from you
We will get back to you as soon as we can.