October 4, 2019
Shannon ‐ Communications Coordinator
Meet the Worthies! From Scrum Masters to Security Specialists and from Marketing & Communications Coordinators to Software Engineers: together, they make working at WORTH worth it.
Every week, we’re introducing one of our key players from WORTH to give you a bit of insight into the different positions at WORTH, the people behind them, and our team dynamics. If you think you fit the profile, and you’d like apply to a job opening, check out our job page.
Here's an interview with Chris Johnson, one of our Frontend Developers based in The Hague, NL.
Name: Chris Johnson
Job title: Frontend Developer
Known for: Knowing everybody. Chris is a natural networker and knows everybody in the CabFab.
Challenges of this role:
- Create the technical design of the front-end of our innovative web applications
- Be the connection between the designer and the backend developers
- Keep a close eye on usability and accessibility
- Create user interfaces to bring customers ideas to reality.
- Keep learning, continuously bringing new understanding to them
1. How would you describe what you do at WORTH in one sentence?
I solve problems. The tools of my trade are communication, technology, and compassionate directness.
2. What did you study, and why?
I studied Computer Science at Birmingham Community College, in New York City. The reason why I chose this is because I always liked building things.
When I was 17, I was DJing and I needed a website. However, finding someone to build it was way too expensive. I therefore learned how to build a website myself. Naturally, I progressed to stuyding Computer Science as that seemed to be the best study for people that wanted to build websites at that time.
3. What three words would you use to describe WORTH?
International, hands-on, and team players.
4. What do you enjoy most about working at WORTH - and which project in particular?
What I enjoy most is working with my great colleagues. Everyone having the same goal and working together to achieve it, is way more important to me than the project we are working on.
6. What is your proudest moment at WORTH?
I have been with WORTH for 7 years now, and I have to say that my proudest achievement at WORTH is to be the person that broke the international barrier. I was the first non-Dutchie to work at WORTH 7 years ago, and, together with fellow expats that joined ever since, managed to change the company culture to a fully inclusive, international one.
7. Fun fact about you: what is the best meal you ever had?
Shrimp parmezan with baked clams in NYC. This is an Italian-American delicacy. Don't ask any Italian about this dish, they will be offended.
8. Bonus question, as one member of WORTH's Digital Development Zoo: if you were an animal, what would you be?
I would be a polar bear, who used to be surrounded by penguins. When I graduated from university and started working, I realised that a lot of people try very hard to fit in. They are like penguins: stiff and they have to stay together in a group to surive. I don't do this. I don't mind standing out and be the big polar bear that doesn't need to fit in.
Get in touch
We'd love to
hear from you
We will get back to you as soon as we can.