October 21, 2019
Shannon ‐ Communications Coordinator
Meet the Worthies! From Scrum Masters to Security Specialists and from Marketing & Communications Coordinators to Software Engineers: together, they make working at WORTH worth it.
Every week, we’re introducing one of our key players from WORTH to give you a bit of insight into the different positions at WORTH, the people behind them, and our team dynamics. If you think you fit the profile, and you’d like apply to a job opening, check out our job page.
Here's an interview with Paul Mathijssen, our one and only Office Assistant based in The Hague, the Netherlands.
Name: Paul Mathijssen
Job title: Office Assistant
Known for: For being funny yet modest
Challenges of this role:
- Being the first point of contact for our customers by telephone and in the office
- Keeping track of all supplies, from office supplies to snacks and drinks
- Ensure that our office always looks clean, tidy and inspiring (and if necessary remind colleagues of their responsibilities)
- Agenda management of our meeting rooms and maintaining the general mailbox
- Taking a lot of steps because you don't often sit behind your desk
1. How would you describe what you do at WORTH in one sentence?
I do pretty much whatever it takes to make sure everybody in the office can do their job the best way possible.
2. What did you study, and why?
I studied Communication and International Events, Music and Entertainment Studies with a minor in Philosophy and Ethics at the Fontys University of Applied Sciences in Tilburg.
The reason why I started this study was, quite honestly, because it was my third and final option. I started the bachelor in Mechanical Engineering, but quit after 3 months. In February I tried Computer Science, but this was also not for me.
Eventually, I chose the bachelor that I completed mainly because of its focus on the music and entertainment industry.
3. What three words would you use to describe WORTH?
Open, Creative and Fun.
4. What do you enjoy most about working at WORTH - and what part of your work in particular?
What I enjoy most is working with the people here. Getting to know them and helping them whenever I can, being able to anticipate on what people want and need, these are the things that give me joy.
6. What is your proudest moment at WORTH?
I have only worked here for a short while, but when I first started I helped out at the Delivering Digital Government conference that we organised on June 27. That event and the positive feedback we received afterwards gave me a lot of joy.
7. Fun fact about you: what is your favourite movie or series?
I really like Top Gear, so I think I would go for that. I am very enthusiastic about cars. I drive a Seat, which is not at all my dream car, but one day I want to have a Volvo Amazon. I don't care much for sport cars, I prefer this Volvo with a lot of character.
8. Bonus question, as one member of WORTH's Digital Zoo: if you were an animal, what would you be?
This was the only question I had difficulty with answering. Because I like to help other people, I would say I am a honey bee. They produce honey to keep the whole beehive alive, which is what I try to do in the office.