February 13, 2018
Melissa ‐ Marketing Coordinator
There are several key roles that make a complete Worth digital development and delivery team: UX/UI Design, Frontend Development, Backend Development, Testing, DevOps, IT Support, and Scrum Master.
Every week, we’re introducing one of our key players for each of these roles to give you a bit of insight into the positions themselves, the people behind them, and our team dynamics. If you think you fit the profile, and you’d like apply to a job opening, check out our job postings page.
Today, we’re sharing an interview with Marian Maas, one of our Scrum Masters based in The Hague, NL.
Name: Marian Maas
Job title: Scrum Master
Challenges of this role:
- Lead a team according to the agile and scrum method and help them improve their achievements.
- Provide stability for the team and provide advice and support.
- Keep customers informed and engaged during the process and offer advice and support.
- Facilitate the daily standup.
- Set up retrospectives, sprint reviews or sprint planning sessions.
- Encourage collaboration between the team and product owner.
1. How would you describe what you do at Worth in one sentence?
I facilitate, encourage and enable an exuberant horde of rebellious engineers and extravagant designers to create seriously valuable products.
2. What did you study, and why?
I studied Cognitive Artificial Intelligence, at the University of Utrecht. I chose this study because I thought it was really cool, and we need more of it (I have always been a big fan of Science Fiction).
After getting my bachelor of Cognitive Artificial Intelligence, I said to myself: “This is where we leave theory behind, and actually do something”. So, I decided to choose a bit of a different direction, and got my Master of Science in Media Technology in Leiden.
3. What three words would you use to describe Worth?
Innovative, Playground, High-end.
4. What do you enjoy most about working at Worth - and which project in particular?
I like the freedom, I like how people are respected for their own expertise, and I like the fact that we are a flat organisation. This really means that we take into account the knowledge of the experts that we have within the company. In fact, we are just a business trying to deliver really great technology to really interesting customers, and I like that about Worth.
The project I enjoyed most was Nomad, because of how excited everyone was to be working on it. It was the most progressive project our customer had ever done; and that's special when you are working for the government.
5. What is your proudest moment at Worth?
The Worth Acadamy Day (internal conference where we had several workshops and presentations within the company, all about listening to each other, learning from each other and making cool stuff) was my proudest moment at Worth. It was such a great event, and I was a part of organising it. Everyone contributed greatly, and in the end we had about 20 to 25 people who actually helped and collaborated to make that day a success.
6. Bonus question, as one member of Worth's Digital Development Zoo: if you were an animal, what would you be?
An otter, because it lives both in the water and on the land.
7. Fun fact about you: what are you passionate about?
- My family
- Reading books
- Saving the planet
Get in touch
We'd love to hear
We will get back to you as soon as we can.