September 13, 2018
Shannon ‐ Communications Coordinator
There are several key roles that make a complete Worth digital development and delivery team. In addition to the previous roles we've discussed, we will now focus on the Technical Lead role.
With introducing one of our key players for each of the roles, we give you a bit of insight into the positions themselves, the people behind them, and our team dynamics. If you think you fit the profile, and you’d like apply to a job opening, check out our job page.
Today, we’re sharing an interview with Gerald, our Technical Lead based in The Hague, NL.
Name: Gerald de Jong
Job title: Technical Lead
Responsibilities of this role:
- Make a large contribution to the technical design, testing, implementation and delivery of innovative web applications.
- Be in close contact with our customers throughout the development process.
- Create the initial code structure.
- Create, present and document the Software Architecture.
- Create processes in collaboration with the Scrum Master.
1. How would you describe what you do at Worth in one sentence?
I coach developers, push for and support technology choices, and I do my best to anticipate obstacles.
2. What did you study, and why?
I studied Mathematics and Computer Science with a specialisation in Combinatorics, at the University at Waterloo in Ontario, Canada. I chose this because it seemed to me that Mathematics would be the foundation of anything I would ever do. And also, I loved it because it was beautiful.
3. What three words would you use to describe Worth?
Friendly, team-focused, and hip.
4. What do you enjoy most about working at Worth - and which project in particular?
What I enjoy most at Worth is seeing people learn, and seeing people’s eyes be opened. My favourite project so far is the Visa Application System for the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
5. What is your proudest moment at Worth?
My proudest moment has to be when I got my team to adopt and enjoy developing with Angular/Typescript. It was a big challenge to turn everyone around, because the technology was unfamiliar to them. However, they quickly assimilated it and began to love it. Now, they see the power of the single page application (SPA).
6. Fun fact about you: What is the most adventurous thing you have ever done?
Emigrating to Holland as a young man. I was 23 years old, backpacking around Europe, and I fell in love with it. That's when I decided, here is where I want to live.
Get in touch
We'd love to
hear from you
We will get back to you as soon as we can.