September 4, 2019
Shannon ‐ Communications Coordinator
Meet the Worthies! From Scrum Masters to Security Specialists and from Marketing & Communications Coordinators to Software Engineers: together, they make working at WORTH worth it.
Every week, we’re introducing one of our key players from WORTH to give you a bit of insight into the different positions at WORTH, the people behind them, and our team dynamics. If you think you fit the profile, and you’d like apply to a job opening, check out our job page.
Here's an interview with Tom White, our one and only Head of Business Development based in The Hague, the Netherlands.
Name: Tom White
Job title: Head of Business Development
Known for: Being overly dressed. It took Tom two weeks to realize that a suit or even a nice jacket are not needed at WORTH.
Challenges of this role:
- Build an effective sales machine for the Dutch Market
- Lead the drum beat of the activities of the sales team
- Manage the sales pipeline and forecast on a monthly/quarterly/annual basis
- Own the sales cycle from prospecting through close
- Collaborate with marketing to align commercial activities
- Lead the RFP-bid process
1. How would you describe what you do at WORTH in one sentence?
As Head of Business Development, I help the company get exposure, create leads, bring structure in the sales process and organization, and close deals.
2. What did you study, and why?
I studied Psychology at Butler University in Indianapolis, USA. Why? Because I thought it was an extremely interesting subject which you can approach from many different angles. Language & learning and experimental psychology were my favourite topics.
I moved into sales rather than become a psychologist, because I come from a family of entrepreneurs with a commercial mindset. After university, I decided that my prospects going further in the field of psychology did not interest me enough, so I went right into business.
3. What three words would you use to describe WORTH?
Open, curious, and professional.
4. What do you enjoy most about working at WORTH - and what part of your work in particular?
At this point, number one must be the company culture. The culture here is very open and people are always willing to help. It is also a company that wants to change and grow, and is willing to invest in that.
I have only been working here for three weeks now, but what I enjoy most is the freedom to create and build my own role.
6. What is your proudest moment at WORTH?
It is hard to say after just three weeks, but I hope there will be a lot of proud moments in the coming months and years!
7. Fun fact about you: what is your favourite movie or series?
That's a rough one. My top three movies would be:
- Pulp Fiction
- The Big Lebowski
- Lord of the Rings
And my favourite series are Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad.
8. Bonus question, as one member of WORTH's Digital Zoo: if you were an animal, what would you be?
A homo sapiens? Haha oh no let's not put them in a zoo. What animal enjoys themselves most in a zoo?
Let me think.
If I could expand the description to an organism instead of just an animal, then I would be a bacterium. Because bacteria are everywhere, even in outer space. They are on the land, in the sea, in the air, and probably on other planets. I like variety and I like to travel, and I would like to be able to survive anywhere (did you know they found bacteria on the outside of the international space station?!).