The University of Leeds
Research & Development
Commercial space in common
The Innovation Commons is a commercial ‘space in common’, where UK universities, business consultants and forward-thinking investors come together to share ideas, opinions, expertise and resources on brand-new technology innovations and under-exploited intellectual property (IP), and create effective collaborative business opportunities. IP creators, such as universities and SMEs, can test their early-stage ideas at minimal cost, using the wisdom of our approved commercial crowd to learn which are the best opportunities for development and exploitation.
- Increase the income generated from licensing of knowledge and IP
- Help identify IP ideas that will convert into real business opportunities
- Help the IP creator define which IP to focus on reducing the the risk of project failure
- Match good ideas and IP with entrepreneurs/consultants that can exploit good opportunities increasing the number of projects that get to market
- Increase the amount of external finance received to fund opportunities
Dr. Tim Whitworth, IP & Commercialisation Manager at the University of Leeds
I've seen the community deliver results here and elsewhere. The approach led to a significant increase in activity and income here at Leeds.
An online community for IP creators, SMEs, investors and consultants to collaborate on early stage ideas and IP
Online market place
An online market place for IP creators to test early-stage ideas with a commercial crowd, quickly and easily researching the commercial value of projects before valuable time and resource are wasted
Crowd based voting/rating system to define the best idea
An online community for IP creators to connect with business angels and other funding networks who can provide resource for projects